Sunday, May 16, 2010

rant.

Stereotype:

A lot of churches these days are trying to be "relevant" to the culture, and reach the "new generation". Okay, so this in and of itself is not bad. I've been looking at websites of hip and cool new churches, and also of other churches that are making themselves over, so to say.
Guess what?
Its still a white men's club.
Senior Pastor: man
Deacons: man
Elders: man
Youth Pastor: man
children's ministry: Woman! THAT is where women can minister! In their place with the children!

Side note: Of course I know of the exceptions to these cliche's. But most churches that have women as leadership outside or kids, youth, singing, and womens ministry, and inside of eldership, deaconship, or head pastoral staff are seen as on the edge of bad doctrine, and possibly even supporting feminism. *GASP* Clarification: I am NOT a feminist! I am also not a man hater! I am, however, a woman who has worked in ministry and is called in ministry, and it is almost impossible to TRULY be taken seriously in today's American conservative Christian culture. Sure, you'll see women on home pages for church websites. They will even be considered leaders. But WHO makes the big decisions? You know who.

Look, i'm not trying to stir up hate. I just had an observation that even in today's culture where church wants to be relevant and new and attractive, there are still the core issues that stay the same, and that won't adapt to cultural changes. New words and cool t-shirts, and tattoos and faux hawks don't cancel out what your philosophy really is.

3 comments:

Damaris said...

I was just thinking about this the other day... I have never been to a church that had a female pastor.

jenna said...

I have so many things to say to that, Dee.

Pressing on and pressing in.... said...

I want to be a pastor. Some day. With a faux hawk and tats. Well, maybe not, but inside I would have them. I hope you will come and worship with me. I hope you will lead worship! Wherever 2 or more gather....so yea. We'd be a church. For sure. And a damned good one!!